A Place To Talk About Autism And ADHD

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Come and chat, have a laugh, exchange journeys and advice with people all over the world who are affected by these conditions. ENJOY!

4 posters

Meltdown Advice

littlewren
    littlewren

Meltdown Advice Empty Meltdown Advice

Post by littlewren Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:59 am

Tonight Harry didnt want to go to bed, partly down to having a new thomas toy and also because the Disney Channel swapped their programmes around.

He went into complete meltdown. He had a dirty nappy and needed his pj's on. We tried to let him ride it out on his own but it was getting no-where fast. I tried talking, distraction etc but nothing worked.

In the end we had to restrain him to get his pjs on Sad He burnt himself out in the process and so by the time I had got him into bed, rubbed his legs and talked to him he was too tired to fight anymore.

Does anyone have any advice. We cant let him scream, hit and run around the house for an hour when hes on one but I dont like having to restrain him either - its awful doing it to him.

He wasnt having the best day anyway as he got upset at me leaving him in nursery and when they took him to the toilet they didnt put his nappy back on properly resulting in a wayward willy leaking everywhere Evil or Very Mad
    Amanda
    Amanda
    Admin

Meltdown Advice Empty Re: Meltdown Advice

Post by Amanda Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:22 am

you need to take his hand gently with a gentle soft voice and say come on harry lets go and sit over here with mummy (away from everything) and ask him to take a deep breath, count to 10 (if he cant then slowly help him) stop and think about what he is trying to say/do, then use his words to explain too you what is wrong and he must always remember to keep his hands and feet to himself.

failing that take his hand gently and say for example oh harry look someones made a mess here can you help me clean it up or oh harry could you get a wipe and help me clean the table etc etc x
    littlewren
    littlewren

Post by littlewren Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:31 am

Thank you I will try it next time. Unfortunately although its not daily his meltdowns are increasing so something needs to be done... and something that doesnt make me feel terrible about!
    Kerry84
    Kerry84
    Admin

Post by Kerry84 Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:32 pm

I think it depends on how far gone he is, if he is able to communicate then try to reach him however if not its best to stop talking and just get done what is needed it's horrible but the only thing u can do, once its done hold him till he calms he will get very angry and then upset, once he's upset your clear and can comfort him, when in full meltdown anything u try to do will make it worse so just get done what is needed x
    littlewren
    littlewren

Post by littlewren Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:40 pm

He was completely out of it, eyes glazed over the lot Rolling Eyes My mistake was not to realise what was going to happen until it was too late. Then I restrained him to get him changed but stopped cos I felt back and thought I could have made it better by talking to him.

I feel much more positive about the next time though so thanks ladies. x
    Kerry84
    Kerry84
    Admin

Post by Kerry84 Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:56 pm

Just remember he won't know what he is doing and won't remember it he will also be 5 times stronger than usual x
    littlewren
    littlewren

Post by littlewren Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:23 pm

It took two us struggling to hold him down. It's amazing just how strong they are affraid
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    littlewren
    littlewren

Post by littlewren Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:47 pm

No Harry does have the Jekyll and Hyde syndrome, one minute screaming and lashing out and the next giggling about something or others. Most of the time he burns himself out until he physically can not fight anymore. Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:12 am